Re: Ailing krib and Krib genetics

Simon writes:

> At the
>  moment we are gathering information about inheritance patterns in
kribensis.
>  The kind of things we are seeking is which features of krib are inheritable
>  traits and which are environmentally influenced traits. Traits like vigour

Lack of vigor tends to be a byproduct of line-breeding, which somehow gives
weaker genes an advantage in gaining distribution within a population.

>   I don't know whether anyone has noticed but male krib seem to die a lot
>  just after spawning and are less vigourous than they were say 10 years
>  ago ), number of ocelli on the tail and dorsal, and intensity of the red on
>  the bellies of both males and females, the extent of the red on the belly
of
>  the female, the mothering instinct of female krib and the defensive nature
>  of male krib, are examples of traits we'd like to improve but this is
>  pointless if we don't know how these traits are inherited.

All of these are genetic traits, but diet, water parameters, and the "general
environment" influence the development of these things.  There has been a
recurring theme on this list debating the disappearance of the "parenting
instinct" amongst dwarf cichlids, primarily when dealing with certain lines
of M. ramirezi, which seem to be totally devoid of any parenting instinct at
all.

IMHO, parenting instincts are influenced by environmental factors that we
don't fully understand.  GH, pH, temperature, sufficient cover from
predators, any and all of these, as well as others as yet unconsidered are at
play.

Your goal of improving a strain is worthy of the effort it will involve, and
I hope you will keep us all advised.  Close observation by a number of
hobbyists may also help us to understand the way the various factors
interplay with genetics.

Bob Dixon