RE: Euthanasia

This topic has been bandied about on all the lists and newsgroups I've
lurked in the past and it seems that all the same suggestions come up at one
point or another so I will share the one I found and use.

When required to put a fish down I fill a bowl with the coldest water I can
and then add ten ice cubes when the water is cold enough to give me an "Ice
Cream Headache" I gingerly drop the fish into the water. Every time I have
used this method, the fish never lasts more than a second. They "belly-up"
the instant they submerge. The freezer trick seems too slow to me, after all
we are looking for quick and painless. When we consider that transferring a
fish to a tank with a different temperature, we go to great lengths to
ensure that the temperature change is a slow as possible so as not to stress
the fish. Think of the fish in the bag of water with the temperature
dropping by two or three degrees every minute all the time sufferring the
stress that we have spent its life doing our best to prevent and after maybe
ten or fifteen minutes, finally succumbing to body failure and dying.
Probably painless, but seemingly stressfull nonetheless.

For the bigger fish, the knife and off with the head seems the quickest most
painless way for a fish to go.  Probably not the most aesthetically
pleasing, but we must consider that we are doing this for the comfort of the
fish, not our own. And, as one of the previous posters so eloquently put it:
"If we are going to keep fish, we have to face and accept the reality that
we may, at one point or another, have to put a fish down."

Good day to all.
Kyle