Re: cyclop-eeze

Tim Ellis wrote:

> I have been using frozen cyclops for a year or so now with good results, but the fry
> need to be 1/4 inch long or more to fit it in their mouths. How can I get some
> cyclop-eeze? Mail-order?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
A thread on these just cooled down on the killie list. It seems the
distributor is a new company, and their site offers only bulk amounts. I
think they'll get easier to find with the passage of time.
I'm having fantastic results with Apisto sp vielfleck, taeniata,
njisseni and macmasteri fry/juveniles using decapsulated brine shrimp as
a staple. Mixed in water, shaken and poured (or squirted with a turkey
baster) they are accepted, and growth is great. I'm getting some
cyclop-eeze too, so I'll try that.
I'm using Russian brine shrimp with encouraging results. It took some
tinkering. If I use approximately half the salt I use for American
artemia, I get a first rate hatch of smaller, paler beasties in about 36
hours at 19C. I can see why these artemia would be easier to grow up, as
they seem hardier than American artemia, living longer in the culture.
They're half the price of US eggs.
I only make one batch a week now, with the "decap" as my cheaper staple,
but I am increasingly pleased.
-Gary (in Montreal)