Re: How about granite, then?

Yea, I don't tink even Mike would argue with granite.  It is igneous in
origin.  Someone with a Machinerys Manual (aka Machinists handbook) should be
able to look up the strength of glass and granite and give a solid answer to
how thick.  I suspect twice the thickness of the original glass would give a
good margin of safety, but you are talking heavy.  Arrange for a few of your
larger friends to come over and help you move the tank once it is glued and
ready to set in place.

Be sure that whatever surface you are putting the likicone on is polished.
That will give the best results.  A thin layer of glue between the pieces
gives the best strength.

Bob Dixon