Re: Apistogramma baby face

All these new Peruvian species are causing a lot of havoc. Here is what I
think.

The "Winkelfleck/Angle-spot" is a separate species from the "Cara Pintada".
The first one, as Mike mentioned, comes from the Rio Orosa which is a
tributary to the Rio Amazonas. The Cara Pintada comes from a small Quebrada
(Qda. Zavalillo) that runs into the Rio Itaya. Part of the confusion comes
from the fact that both have been exported as Cara Pintada because of the
red markings on the face. Mike can do a much better and more eloquent
description of the differences. I just posted pictures at the following
addresses. Just remember, think black and white:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Winkelfleck.jpg
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Winkelfleck2.jpg
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Carapintada.jpg
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Carapintada2.jpg

Similarly, I don't think that the A. sp. "Rio Nanay" is the same species as
the A. sp. Papagien- (Algodon I, Parrot, or Papagayo). I have seen lists
that have A. sp. "Rio Nanay" Parrot. This makes matters very confusing as
both are separate species from completely different localities. The Parrot
Apisto comes from a tributary to the Rio Ampiyacu and the Nanay Apisto
comes from a tributary to the Rio Momon. I have pictures of both at our
site for comparison. Again, Mike, take over from here.

Sorry for the long message,

Julio