Re: Apistogramma baby face

Julio is correct. Koslowski recognizes a light & a
dark form of Winkelfleck. In
Germany they were often mixed together in
shipments and hard to tell apart. As
far as I know, no one knows which form comes from
Pebas (Rio Orosa) and which
comes from Iquitos (Rio Itaya).
Koslowski found that when given a chance the color
form males only bred with
their own color form females & ignored the others.
He believes they are 2
separate but closely related species.

With regards to A. sp. Papagien (Algodon
I/Parrot/Papagayo), Julio is also
correct. Römer introduced this species in Germany
under the name A. sp. Nanay. He
mistakenly believed that it was the same fish that
Julio brought back from Peru
early last year. It is not the same fish. A. sp.
Papagien (Algodon
I/Parrot/Papagayo) is a fish closely related to A.
sp. Pebas. Both have a double
caudal spot roughly similar to that in A.
commbrae. A. sp. Nanay is a fish more
closely related to A. sp. Putumayo (= A. sp.
Parallelstreifen/Parallel-striped in
Linke & Staeck's book) & A. sp. Algodon 2 on
Julio's web page. It has a normal,
single caudal spot.
I wish everyone who has the Parrot Apisto would
stop using the name "A. sp.
Algodon I". It does not come from anywhere near
the Rio Algodon & just confuses
the issue.

Koslowski recently started sorting out the species
in a 2-part article in DATZ
(12/99 & 1/00). The ASG plans to reprint this
series in English in the
Apisto-Gram later this year. It will be well worth
waiting for.

BTW, I still have no idea what A. sp. Baby-face
is. Any photos of it out there??

Mike Wise