Re: Needs advice for a new species...

John Wubbolt wrote:

> Hello Frode Johansen
>
> If you are going to try and put 2 different species of apistos in the
> same tank, you need a much larger tank than a 15 gallon tank.   In my
> experiences, 2 adult males will fight, even if they are 2 different
> species.

I've been having luck recently with two species in one tank, but not in
15 gallons. The combinations work best if you look at body shape. For
example, my large pair of sp vielfleck, which can be moderately
aggressive, have been in with a breeding harem group of agassizii
Alenquer for 6 peaceful weeks. There was a flurry of displaying at
first, but the 30 gallon tank is neatly divided up now. However, the
agas are slender bodied and the vielfleck are chunky, which helps.
I have some wild apistos that came in 2 weeks ago, and have turned out
to be a delightful yellow rotpunkt with a black top on the dorsal. Given
my taste for the chunky guys, I would never combine them with my other
mcmasteri type fish, but I'm sure they'd go with agas as well. My
slender bodied sp Sao Gabriel lyretail are happily cohabiting with
hongsloi in a a tank with a 76cm base. The key is heavy planting, broken
lines of vision for the fish, and adequate bottom space.
So for the original question, if you are making an occasional visitor of
your cacatuoides, I'd go for agas, but remember, if anything breeds,
you'll need a third tank.
-Gary