Recommended Krib Breeding Conditions

On 4/6/00 at 2:08 PM S. Ong wrote:

>What would you recommend to be ideal conditions to
>breed kribs? (ie: tank size, water parameters, temp,
>tank mates, food, surroundings?)

I've only been breeding kribs for about a year and a half, so I'm no
expert. I can tell what is working for me.

I put a pair in a 10 gal or larger tank with as many plants as I have and
an overturned "muffin" flower pot with a large notch out of the side for
entry and exit. ( a"muffin" pot is about 3" in diameter across the top and
about 2 1/2" high. ) I use gravel with a sponge filter and or 1/2 the tank
with an under gravel filter and sometimes also a sponge. I want to use this
tank as the grow out tank for 3 or 4 months.

The couple usually finds the pot within a day and hides there for a
while.They then cruise the tank and when they are ready to breed they
disappear. They usually pile some gravel at the entrance and sometimes spit
it out the top hole. They are in there for a week or so and when I see them
the young are free swimming and following the mother. I have never seen
wigglers.

The young are big enough when I see them that I can feed them decapsulated
brine shrimp and raise them on that and flake food. It's amazing but the
fish I've raised to adults still love those tiny brine shrimp.

My water is about 8 ph and HARD. that seems to be no problem for the kribs.
BTW, this system does work for me. I sell all the kribs I can produce to
help pay for my habit.

Even if I couldn't sell them, I would try to always have a breeding pair as
I think these are a very interesting fish. Last week I described a 50 gal
tank that I keep kribs, corys and angels in and that's one of the most
interesting tanks I have had.

Scotty
Philadelphia Area Betta Society
http://karlin1.com/PABSdefault.htm