Re: Anyone's commerc. bred rams raised their young?

I will apologize in advance for running on a bit, but I hope something I
offer here may be of some use to someone.

I've had mixed success alowing my commercially raised rams to rear their
young. I lucked into some very nice juvenile yellow-strain rams several
months ago. When they matured I had one pair and a couple lonely males. Later
I found a lovely German blue female at another shop, giving me two pairs. I
had very good luck with the mixed pair. They spawned readilly, and both
parents were extremely attentive to their offspring. A few days after the fry
became free swimming, Dad would chase off Mom and take over brood care
altogether. My all-yellow pair, however, have failed completely. They'll
stick with the brood through the wiggler stage, but eat the fry as soon as
they become free swimming. Sadly, my successful male lost an eye in a fight
about two months ago. He is now well enough to spawn again -- a bit awkwardly
-- but the broods have disappeared after a couple days. I  have a couple
thoughts, based on those early successes:

--The productive broods were in a bare-bottom tank shared with a pair of
breeding angelfish. Glazed tiles had been leaned against the inside glass as
a spawning medium for the angels. The rams seemed to love the lean-to
structures the tiles created. Soon after spawning, they would move eggs or
wigglers under one of the lean-tos, and later move them to another location
-- under another tile -- almost daily (the angels were removed by then).
Tiles have not been present  for the unsuccessful broods, and  I now wonder
if the the structures might have had a stabilizing effect on the parents. I
plan to test the theory with both pairs.

--I've also wondered if the tendency to eat offspring doesn't have something
to with stress caused by aggression between parents (these are very
aggressive fish around spawning time -- they terrorized my much larger, but
absolutely pitiful, angels). Perhaps it would be sufficient to remove just
one parent soon after spawning -- another theory to test.

--Finally, I'm very anxious to see if any of my mixed-strain juveniles turn
out to be such good parents. For that matter, I'm anxious to see what color
strain they are.

I wonder if anyone has had similar observations or thoughts.

--MikeH.