Re: GSAS auction was Re: Tampa Bay Aquarium Society Meeting Notice

At 08:20 AM 4/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually, I don't mind the local club announcements on the lists
>I feel that such postings are not spam because they have some relavence to
the hobby.

If someone had a local auction that was all apistos (or half apistos) or
had a talk about apistos, that would be relevant.   An auction of killies
and a talk about reef tanks is IRRELEVANT.  A post should have OBVIOUS
MATERIAL relevance to the list because it is just about guaranteed to have
VAST IRRELEVANCE to most everyone on the list, namely geography (unless it
is a net auction or mail order or ....).

>BTW, The Apisto list seems o be a bit more sensitive towards these issues
than others.

Maybe it is a sign of our deeper intellect.   Maybe our tolerance for BS is
a lot lower than some other lists I could name.   On the other hand,
considering the recent thread on eating babies, maybe I am wrong.

As long as I have gotten started, consider the following questions:

1.  What would be the evolutionary value (if any) of forgetting how to
parent after a few generations?

2.  What would be the evolutionary value (if any) of eating your babies?

When you get those figured out, you will understand why babies get eaten.
--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
Jobe's Fern and Palm Spikes FREE        http://www.wcf.com/pam