Re: Ponds (was: Evolutionary advantages)

Dominic writes:

>  realise that it would be insane to try and use RO or any such methods to
>  condition the water, but perhaps peat filtration and oak leaves on the
>  bottom of the pond might help - if required?
>
>  Sure wish I had a pond. And some recalitrant parents (all I have at the
>  moment are cacatuoides and njisseni who all act as pretty decent parents).

They sell plastic kiddie pools cheap at Kmart.  If you can protect it from
neioghborhood kids, you're all set.  And reasonable rainfall can keep the
waterconditions VERY soft.  I unfortunately live on a semi-arid High Mountain
Prairie, with California summers.  If I had a fenced yard I would try it for
a summer and use peat and oak to condition the sprinkler water that fell in
the pool.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com