Re: apisto with intestinal worms

 I have had bad experiences with
> trichlorphon and these fish when treating a fluke infestation once.
But if I remember rightly Trichlorphon is an organophosphate and
therefore best avoided anyway.
> Another question - do you think it is possible for me to have infected all
> my tanks with the nematode by using the same net ?
Unfortunately yes. I know some textbooks refer to intermediate hosts with
Camallanus but in my experience it can transfer directly.
As an aside, some Madagascan cichlids here were treated with
Levacide prophylactically due to their value from a conservation
point of view. Following this, they were fed large amounts of live
chironomid larvae to condition them up for breeding. When a fish
was subsequently sent for p.m. following some aggression an
infestation of nematodes were found in the intestinal tract( the fish,
a female was shown to have died from heavy internal bruising
probably caused by a rival female). While not conclusive, this
suggests that the live food was the source of infection, as no new
specimens were introduced in the interim period.
However, in spite of the prescence of nematodes, the fish was
described as in good condition. This of course, may not be relevent
with dwarf cichlids which have much smaller reserves. If at all
possible we should remove all such problems to maximise the
potential for success.

Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE