Re: Comments on this post...

> Ive never seen a vegetarian dwarf cichlid.  Certainly none of mine are and
> they get ample opportunity to eat zuccini and algae wafers that the
> bristlenose get fed.
I have. I once picked out an oddball from a load of wild caught
Pelvicachromis pulcher types that spent all its time rasping algae
from the sides of the tank. This may not have been obligate
behaviour, it did go into a tank with heavy algal growth from
sunight. I still don't know what it was, it looked like a very poorly
coloured Pelvic. with a truncate caudal. It had broader lips than
normal but not to the degree seen in some rifts (Petrotilapia etc.).
I don't think the other fish in the tank(Chromidotilapia and a pair of
the P. 'pulcher' from the same shipment) knew what to make of it.
Unfortunately it got whacked a few months later by the Chromido's
when they bred, but it never grew beyond a couple of inches in that
time.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE