Re: aquarium photography ...

Raymond,

Having seen some of you digital photos, I must admit they are exceptional.
Digital cameras are certainly more than adequate for anything published on the
Web, since our screens don't have the definition that the latest digital cameras
can produce. Actually, digital cameras can substitute for film cameras for
virtually anything except the most demanding situations. These situations are
normally out of the realm of most hobbyists - even those who present slide
programs. I have made very good slides off my computer monitor - at least good
enough to show at talks.

Optically, digital camera lenses are simpler in design & easier to manufacture
than those of larger format film cameras. This is because a digital lens doesn't
have to cover as large a plane as does a film camera's lens. They have no real
optical superiority over film camera lenses. Film camera lenses actually need to
be optically better if they are going to take advantage of the finer definition
that film produces. The best digital cameras can produce in the 2 million pixel
range, but fine grained films can be produced that are orders of magnitude
better. The trick is that the human eye can't define the difference without
optical assistance.

Digitals, as you say, allow you to edit in the camera and not waste film. This is
a psychological advantage over film photography and probably why people are more
successful with digitals. No one wants to waste film & money. Film photographers
feel they have to wait for the perfect shot, so they don't take as many photos. A
digital camera allows you to be more willing to experiment with pictures. I'd bet
that the ratio of good photos to bad (for experienced photographers) is about the
same for both systems. With the digital system you automatically destroy the bad
images. With film they remain so you get an idea of your true success rate.

If I were starting out right now, I'd buy the best digital camera I could afford
and use it to photograph my fish. I'd also buy an inexpensive 35 mm Single Lens
Reflex Camera to copy on film my digital photos off my monitor. Until video
projectors become more common we will still need slides and "hard" photographs to
show to groups of other hobbyists. Right now I waiting for a digital camera that
has all of the features of my 20 year old SLR before I switch: optical through
the lens viewing, manual & automatic settings for focus, f-stops & shutter
speeds, multiple external flash syncs, interchangeable lenses, etc. From what I
see on the market right now even the top digitals are no more sophisticated than
the top-of-the-line fully automatic point-&-shoot film cameras. This is probably
why the pros still burn a lot of film. That's my opinion.

Mike Wise