Re: multiple broods in same tank??

John,
Yea, after a long period of lurkage I can respond to a thread based upon my own
very limited experience. Oh joy! Thanks to to Mike's and others' good advice, I
left both A. agassizzi (red/gold) parents in with their second brood in a very
heavily planted 10 gallon tank. Some from each brood have done well. Sizes vary
a bit, though members of the first brood seem to be growing very rapidly (almost
2 cms long by now). Second brood youngin's are now around 11 mms is my guess. No
new broods since the second have been produced that I know of (for which I am
thankful... for the apparent lack of production, not for not knowing, that is).
I will have to keep on top of any potential bio-overload as the fry grow I
assume. I think there are about 12 remaining from both broods, which is a
fraction of the original brood sizes but plenty enough for me. Mom was quite
aggressive towards the first brood when the second appeared, but there was lots
of cover for them. I love heavily planted tanks, so this is my choice as a way
to go. Less "production", but aesthetically pleasing, and seemingly more
"natural" if that is not too much of an abuse of that word. BTW, my tanks
parameters are quite similar to yours.

On a related note, and related to the earlier cory thread. I have a pair of A.
viejita type II (and my how lovely) in a 20 gallon long, with a pair of M.
altispinosa (or two males of same) and 4 corys (1 sterbai and 3 adofoi). I was
told to get those cory out of there, since I sort of have a responsibility to
breed the viejita. The female has seemed in breeding form, bright yellow, cave
loitering, etc., but no fry. I assume the corys have done various night raids.
Should I move the corys to another tank?  I guess I really know the answer to my
question. See what happens when I stop lurking... I'll cork it again for awhile.

-Dan