sex reversal in apistos; was: How 'bout that!

The only report on sex reversals in apistos that wasn't anecdotal is found in
Koslowski's book. He reports that he had a female Wangenflecken Apisto that spawned
several times and produced young. Then over a few months time it changed to look
like a male. He/she was placed in a tank with a female that had spawned previously
with another male. When placed in a tank with a female, this male spawned with the
female and she raised young. Most other reports don't have sufficient controls to
verify that the once "female" wasn't actually a sneaker male. I once had a Rotpunkt
sneaker male that would color up just like a brooding female and guard fry for a
while side by side with the mother. At first I thought that it was joint brood care
by two females. I was wrong.

Mike Wise