Acids to lower pH (was: RE: Lime Deposits)

Kim or Steve:

I have noticed that the majority of the commercially available pH down's are
comprised of sulphuric acid.
You said that you use muriatic, if I remember correctly from my First year
Chemistry classes muriatic is Hydrochloric acid which when dissolved in
water will dissassociate into Hydrogen and Chlorine ions. I spend a whack of
cash buying water treatment product to remove chlorine from my tap water
before doing my WC's. I assume you have been using the muriatic for some
time, and you have not noticed any ill effects? Probably a simple
explanation for this... it just got me to thinking and I was curious because
one litre of muriatic is sure cheaper than the commercially prepared pH down
out there. It was the thought that adding HCl to my tanks would cause
problems so I refrained. Could anyone shed some light?

Thanks