RE: Sexing of Mikrogeophagus Altispinosa

Raymond,

I've bred them several times in a 10G, moderately planted aquarium. A coarse
sand  substrate (over kitty litter if that makes a difference) w/ 30W of
standard fluorescent lighting. I used my tap water (3.5KH, 1.5 GH, pH 7.5)
w/ no conditioning (it's out of a well). Temperature about 80 degrees. A
light cycle of 11 hours. The only
filter is a single Tetra sponge filter but the aquarium is well established
and water quality is pretty good. I change about 25% every 2 weeks or so.
I've gotten two sets of healthy fry from this set-up. In this tank I've bred
them alone and w/ zebra danio dithers (which were quickly yanked when they
started devouring fry).  In both instances I kept both parents in the tank
for about 2 weeks until the mother (in both cases) started treating the fry
more like tank-mates than offspring (aka light snacks).  I then pulled both.
In each instance they laid their eggs on pieces of slate lying flat on the
sand.

I've also bred them in my community tank. A 29G, heavily planted tank with
diy CO2.  Lots of floating plants. My tap water (as described above) w/ a pH
of 6.5-6.8 from the CO2. Substrate is pure Flourite. 105 watts of HO
fluorescent lighting. A
Whisper C power filter, no charcoal w/ a power head for circulation. CO2
injected into the intake of the Whisper.  Temperature a little lower in this
one, in the area of 78.  Lots of tetras, other M. altispinosa, SAE, etc.
Only 2 fry have ever survived this environment, despite their breeding in
there almost every 2 weeks or so.
They have laid eggs on slate and sword plants in this tank.

I hope that helps.

Michael Brock
Fredericksburg, VA