Re: sex reversal in apistos

There a lots of reef fish where sex change is the norm reproductive
strategy- often much like the accounts here. Sex change to a male happens
only in large territorial females who can gain better reproductive success
by being a territory holder (e..g in the case of apistos with multiple
partners to reproduce with). It's just really curious that it is so
uncommonly observed. I know in my own experience a young male will develop
into a territorial male when the dominant male has been removed or died and
often establish a bond with the adult female. often quite rapidly

>Brian Skidmore of Tampa, Florida had a breeding pair of borelli where one
>of the fish (dont remember which one), after the death of its mate changed
>sex and reproduced again as a member of the opposite sex.  He wrote an
>elaborate article about it in the local journal.
>
>Vinny
>

>Tom Wojtech wrote:
>  I met a lady when I was judging a show for the Peoria, IL club who had a
>pair
>  of A. agassizi which produced babies and the male died. It took her a while
>  to find more and the four she found were very young and unsexable. She had
>  them with the much larger female who eventually changed into a functional
>  male who bred with one of what turned out to be 4 small females. She did
>  write an article on her experience for their publication. Since she was
>  working with so few fish so as to be sure she didn't mix them up; she
>  convinced me.
>
>  Tom Wojtech

><HTML><HEAD>
><META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV>Brian Skidmore of Tampa, Florida had a breeding pair of borelli where one
>of the fish (dont remember which one), after the death of its mate changed sex
>and reproduced again as a member of the opposite sex.&nbsp; He wrote an
>elaborate article about it in the local journal.&nbsp; </DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>Vinny</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>Tom Wojtech wrote:</DIV>
><BLOCKQUOTE
>style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT:
>0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">I
>  met a lady when I was judging a show for the Peoria, IL club who had a pair
>  <BR>of A. agassizi which produced babies and the male died. It took her a
>  while <BR>to find more and the four she found were very young and unsexable.
>  She had <BR>them with the much larger female who eventually changed into a
>  functional <BR>male who bred with one of what turned out to be 4 small
>  females. She did <BR>write an article on her experience for their
>publication.
>  Since she was <BR>working with so few fish so as to be sure she didn't mix
>  them up; she <BR>convinced me.<BR><BR>Tom
>Wojtech<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

                              Steven J. Waldron

                             http://WWW.ANURA.ORG
               "Natural History, Captive Husbandry, Conservation and
                           Biophilia of Tropical Frogs"