Re: Sexing A. gibbiceps

In a message dated 5/11/00 5:40:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
caligula@tig.com.au writes:

<< Can anyone give me any pointers on sexing A gibbiceps.

 I acquired 4 the other day (they were meant to bitaeniata, but the
 wholesaler got a little confused and thinking he had already sold all
 his gibbiceps called this lot bit's. :(  Still waiting to see if he gets
 more 'real' bitaeniata)

 Any way.. two are obviously males, the largest is close to 4cm TL and
 starting to get a decent lyre tail and colouration on fins.  The next
 biggest is about 3cm and a bit TL and also showing a slight lyre tail.

 The other two are about 2.5 -3 TL, the only distinct marking they show
 are the abdominal stripes, not sure if this is a male only or species
 marking.

 Also very happy to report my first successful N aureocephalus spawn.

 Female laid eggs inside a small terracotta pot in the community tank, 24
 hours after laying I moved her and pot to a small tank, where she
 continued to look after them, wrigglers 4 days after spawning and about
 20 -30 free swimming fry 8 days later - could have been a day earlier
 even.  Fry are now (day 16) about 4mm long and show quite a dark stripe
 along the body.  Much bigger then my A. agassizi fry at same age.

 Cheers

 Steph

Males have lyre-tails and pointed anterior dorsals, Females have rounded
tails and dorsals. The stripes are on both, although more  pronounced on
males, good luck.