Re: warm weather and spawnings

I have found this with my krib and rams as well. I have a theory about it
too ( prob. way off but it works for me 8-)   ). Here in Australia I use my
heaters from mid Autumn to mid Spring. When I use my heaters the temperature
does not fluctuate very much ( stays around 27 degrees Celsius )and not much
spawns ( except my convicts which would spawn in a bucket of water mid
winter if they could ! ). When I don't use the heaters the temp can
fluctuate a bit between day and night ( between almost 30 degrees Celsius
 on a hot day ) to about 23-24 at night ) reflecting more accurately what
happens where they are naturally found. I guess most of these guys spawn in
response to natural rhythms like flooding. And when it floods the water will
invade more terra firma causing a flush of organic matter to decay thus
acidifying the water in the shallows. It would also drop the temp and cause
wider temp fluctuations because it is relatively shallow water. I'm prob
wrong on this but it all makes sense to me. So when I want my fish to spawn
I sometimes throw in some new wood which releases tannins into the water and
slowly drops the ph and turn the heaters off to drop the temp a bit and let
them experience more natural daily temp cycles. What do you reckon about
this ?

Regards,

Simon

http://thecichlidtank.cjb.net