Re: Hard hard water

>Hello from Australia
>
>However on Simon's dwarf cichlid board, we are conversing with a lady from
>West Michigan where the water is HARD (300ppm gH and kH) and she is trying
>to keep soft water, acid fish.

I've had very good luck attacking this problem with two weapons.  The
first, of course, is filtering over peat.  It's not really all that
wonderful for softening, but for acidifying, it can't be beat.

For softening, I use SeaChem Neutral Regulator and Acid Buffer.
These two products work by (1) adding buffering agents and (2)
precipitating out calcium/magnesium/hard water nasties.  The great
thing is that you can mix them and design a target pH for your tank.

I like to use this combination because I've seen peat filtration drop
the bottom out of the pH, and I don't like to have to get rid of it,
because I think the fish like the tannins, etc., provided by the
peat.  The buffer helps to keep the pH steady.  What I've done when
the water seems quite hard is to add the buffer every other day for
several doses; if you keep adding it in the same ratio, you can keep
precipitating out more calcium.

Of course, there's always reverse osmosis, or supermarket-filtered RO
if the tank's small . . .

Stuart
--
--