Re: Hard hard water

I can answer this question from first hand experience.  i used to live
in a northern New York town which had tap water with a hardness reading
of 300 ppm.  At that time I was mostly into angelfish and discus.  At
first I tried to solve the problem by mixing y tap water with rain
water.  That would have have worked if I coud have been able to collect
enough rain water.  Actually, I could in the summer, but not in the
winter.  We generally have snow from December to April and melting snow
is too much work.  So I bought an RO unit and mixed it back in with the
tap water.  I found that 3 parts RO to 1 part tap water would really
work for the discus and angelfish.  A bare bones unit can be bought from
many different mail order places for $100-140 for a 24 gpd device.  If
you have hard water and like soft water fish, this is the best way to go
IMHO.

Now, I live in another northern New York town that has very soft water (
less than 15 ppm GH and KH).  This enables me to use the water straight
from the tap.  I hope this helps.

Joe Hildreth
15 Cedar Street
Potsdam,NY 13676