Re: Id'ing Apisto Cacatuoides?

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Jensen Niels wrote:

> I was hoping somebody could help me out in id'ing the genders of these
> apistogramma cacatuoides. I've been reading through the Krib but I'm still a
> little unsure. The way I see it, the red finned beaut is the male. (sorry
> about the bad quality pics) Then there is a darker colored female (?)(not
> too much yellow) and another female (?) that is very yellow. More so than
> what the pic shows. Have I got that right? The yellow apisto spent the first
> 3 days trying to get the male's attention, succeeded, and then got chased
> relentlessly. The darker óne gets picked on by the yellow apisto but not the
> male. Love these fish.
> Pics of the fish are at :
>
> http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/Apistoid.html

They're all A. cacatuoides.  (Look at me!  I answered an Apisto
List question that was actually about Apistos!)

I am not sure both of the others are females, though.  One looks like it
might be an immature male.

  - Erik

PS: Non-apisto-related: your links don't work on Netscape, because they
have spaces in them.  You need to convert them to "%20" or drop the spaces
altogether. :)

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com