Re: Serious

>Stuart
>
>It may be different regarding antibiotic use in other parts of the world
>but in Australia the problem has been one of over prescription of the drugs
>- antibiotics cannot be purchased in Australia without prescription.

No, that's a common perception.  It has added to the problem, but the
fact that no one takes a full course is also a big deal.  Here in the
US you also need a prescription.

>I would disagree with you on the question of antibiotic resistant strains
>being no more virulent than normal strains. But that is for another day

You are certainly entitled to disagree, but it's a question of the
definition of virulence.  Virulence refers to how damaging to the
host the pathogen is.  The thought that antibiotic resistance affects
virulence is absurd; the implication is that when we discovered
antibiotics, bacteria were suddenly less virulent, which is nonsense.
Even if you had a simple ear infection from a bacterium sensitive to
everything, you could go deaf if left untreated.

Stuart
--
--
Stuart Hall