Re: Rams trio

In a message dated 6/6/00 10:53:14 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
Lilia.Stepanova@stjude.org writes:

> Yesterday I saw an unusual thing in my rams tank. My gold rams decided to
>  spawn, and one female spawned with two males at the same time. I mean, she
>  was seeding the eggs on the slate, and two males were following her
>  fertilizing the eggs. After that both males and female took turns defending
>  them from other rams in the tank. Have anyone seen this kind of behavior in
>  rams?

I haven't seen that, but I once was moving, and stashed a pair of angels in a
29-gallon community tank while I got things organized in my new fish room.
On the third day I came home from work and saw the female pinning the rest of
the community against the left end of the tank while the male spawned with a
second female.  They were able to go at it non-stop while the dutiful wife
kept the other fish at bay.  I set the new "trio" up in a 29-gallon, and the
females took turns turning out spawns of 400 or so eggs, each on an average
of six days apart.  Prior to the second marriage, the single female gave me a
spawn every 11 days.  The male managed to keep up his end of the deal, and I
got an average fertility from the eggs of almost 100%.  I should have such
obligations!!
 :-)
Needless to say, I was pulling the spawns that I wanted to keep.

Bob Dixon