Re: macmasteri

Mike,

I doubt that you have the same fish as the one in SACII that's listed as "A.
macmasteri Tame". You see that fish, more correctly called "A. sp. Tame"
(pronounced Taw-may), has only been imported once, by Uwe Werner when he
collected it in the Rio Tame, a tributary of the upper Rio Arauca of Colombia, in
1995. They were never widely distributed even inside of Germany and I haven't
heard of anyone who has them for years now. They come from an area not collect
for the aquarium trade so any that arrive in you LFS will almost certainly be
domestic offspring of the original imports. Because of this they should have the
Tame name attached to them.

Although A. sp. Tame is a member of the macmasteri-group, it is actually more
closely related to A. hoignei & A. guttata. Most females of the macmasteri-group
are all very similar looking. In the past this has caused hybridization in the
various species. Before recommending that you breed her with your other macs, I'd
suggest that you see if you have any males that came with her. See if they look
like true macs. Otherwise I would be afraid of producing hybrids.

Mike Wise