Re: R/O Units

Z-man writes:

> I always enjoy the comments regarding RO "WASTE" water! I hope by using
that
>  word "waste" you are not dumping it out and losing it. I have a unit that
>  produces 25 gallons per day with "non-RO" water at 125 gallons ratio for
>  about seven years now. I maintain 80 tanks with an average of about 15
>  gallons. The RO water is used only for breeding Apistos and all the other
>  water is used for all other tanks. When I sell Apisto's to the local
store,
>  they are in regular tap "waste" water to avoid stress as I know the store
>  doesn't use it's RO water for the sales tanks. At least 75% of my tanks
use
>  the so-called waste water. My tap water is 170ppm and the waste water is
>  still 170ppm. There is never any added hardness in any RO system; that's
> what
>  the filters are for. I actually keep 10 to 15 gallons of that water in
>  1-gallon milk type containers for all our cooking needs and it makes great
>  coffee! Why the words "waste water" are used, I'll never know. If you use
> the
>  water from your tap, why wouldn't you use this water where all the small
>  unseen particales are removed and it's a lot purer?

Don makes a good point here.  Most of the people who are tossing the "waste
water" out are simply lacking a little ingenuity.  If you live in those areas
of the Southwest US where the water is rock-hard, and also extremely scarce,
then you could put a storage tank in and pump it out onto the lawn.  The
added expense would pay for itself in lower water bills over a few years.
You could also add rift-lake cichlids to your fish room, and the hard stuff
would already be ideal without the addition of salts.  It would be hard to
use it from the tap, but there are other means of employing it.  If you live
east of the Mississippi, or in the Northwest rainforest, you may not
understand and appreciate what a truly precious commodity fresh water is.
Here in Idaho, more lawyers make their living from "Water Rights Law" than
you can imagine.

Bob Dixon