Re: R/O Units

Hi Jerry

Lots of replies to your post but I didn't see any that
answered your first question very well. There are units
that recycle waste water and produce a lot less waste to
RO-water than 1:1. They are quite expensive so you're most
likely better of with a good regular unit.

I think Stuart got it a little backwards in his last two
calculations but otherwise it was OK.

I have a Aqua Medic 50g/day unit that has been working
really well for over two years now. My tap water is soft
(about 170-200 microSiemens) but I can't get better than
something like 2:1-ratio. As I have it now it's 4:1 which
means that my waste is about 210-250 microSiemens and still
useful for most fish I have.

To lower pH and keep it down I use peat. I have tried, and
still use, phosphoric acid but IMHO peat works better and
releases substances the fish like. I am starting to experiment
with Oak Extract which a lot of Danish and German aquarists
use.

Regards
Fredrik L.