RE: Feeding

> I think you may be thinking of tubifex.
>
> Kathy
>

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Brett Kemker, PhD wrote:
>
> > Did we not conclude on this list that bloodworms (either frozen or
> > fresh) could be intermediate hosts (carriers) of parasites? -Brett

We had a case here where fish which had been treated with an
antihelminthic and then fed live chironomid larvae were found to
have an intestinal worm problem.
This is circumstantial evidence for these insect larvae acting as
intermediate hosts. It could also be that the eggs/larvae of the
parasites were in the substrate and some were picked up when the
bloodworms were collected.
When using live bloodworm it is almost inevitable that some of the
sediment they were in will also be introduced to the aquarium, no
matter how small an amount, or how carefully it is washed.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200