Re: Opal borelli,

In a message dated 6/21/00 8:23:54 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:

> As much as I respect Uwe this is not true, except in domestic forms of A.
>  agassizii that have been interbred with many many populations of A.
> agassizii. In
>  truth, isolated populations of aggies breed true. Some of these
populations
> may
>  actually be semispecies (or sibling species) of one superspecies. This is
> another
>  reason not to cross different populations of A. agassizii unless you are
> trying
>  to develop a specific color strain.

As I recall, Uwe's original statement was that he felt the original ancestral
population of aggies contained the genetics of all the color forms, and then
they sorted them selves out in isolation.  Personally, I think some color
sports and changes should have occured over time.  Look at the variants in
angels that have popped up in the last thirty-five years or so.  There are
even at least three different forms of marble angel, each with its own genes.

Bob Dixon