Re: Rift lake salts

From: Bob Dixon
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 8:00 PM

> Would Rift Lake Cichlid salts be a suitable base for Ro/Di
> reconstitution?...Anyone know what's in it.

The salts are a good choice. Your best two bets are Seachem's "Cichlid Lake
Salt" and Kent Marine's "AF Cichlid Chemistry".

I'd avoid the buffers, though. They are straight mixes of sodium bicarbonate
and sodium carbonate - the bi/carbs are what you want, but not so much
strictly the sodium varieties. You'd be much better off mixing a slurry of
calcium carbonate solution and dosing very small portions of that if you
need some buffering.

The regulators that approach neutral use sodium bisulfates in a move from
phosphates - no algae, but some not-so-natural chemistry. It works much
better in your swimming pool.

>  Would it be not only acceptable, but also cheaper than RO
> Right?

The salts are fairly cheap, all right.

But then, so is a touch of tap water - unless, of course, you're filtering
it for the other nasties...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com