Re: Rift lake salts, 2nd Response

From: Bob Dixon
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:11 PM

> I am doing the partial tap thing right now, but I have to test
> the tap water every time I use it, because it varies so much
> from week to week as the water table goes up and down.

Ooh, I can see how that would become wearisome after a while.

> Actually, KH doesn't bother me much.  If I do the water
> changes on schedule, the pH crash isn't going to happen.
> If I am a little slow at it, then the Apistos will survive at pretty
> low pH levels until I get there.

I depend on change-outs for stability also, humics and CO2 being my primary
buffers for those tanks. I mentioned the carbonate buffering as a secondary
in support of your planting efforts where applicable :-)

Of the two salts I mentioned, neither normally affect the alkalinity - they
rely on the separate buffering compounds as additions. I would recommend
Seachem's product as a more comprehensive blend of elements for
reconsitution of GH...

-Y-