Re: Borelii 'yellow point' spawn

In a message dated 8/16/00 11:54:58 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Lilia.Stepanova@stjude.org writes:

> 1. can a female borelii lay eggs without fertilization by a male in the
>  presence of males in the tank?

They CAN, but the likelyhood is small.  Sometimes males loose all interest
quickly.  I sometimes think they share the genes for fathering instincts with
a certain bipedal mammalian species that has somehow spread its native
habitat all around the world in spite of it.

>  2. who should care for eggs - female alone or both parents?

Depends on the size of the tank.  Over 30 gallons, it is usually safe to
leave the male in the tank.  15-30 gallons, it's about 50/50.  Ten gallon
tanks, definitely pull the male.

>  3. Is it safe to keep borelii with steindachneri - or should I separate
them
>  so they will not interbreed?

They are too dissimilar to interbreed.  I would move the steindachneri so he
doesn't kill the female borellii to get to the eggs.

>  4. How sensitive are borelii to pH and hardness? I mean, for breeding?

Mine won't breed unless I get the water soft and pH set at around 6.2.  I've
heard folks say they have spawned them at 8º DH and 7.8 pH, so YMMV.