RE: Maple leafs instead of peat/high ph in B'more city water

Thanks Bob,
I forgot to mention in my original post that I want to try crushed maple
leafs as an filtermaterial instead of peat to acidify my water.
I wonder if anybody ever tried that,
On a side note:I'm very puzzled about my tapwater.The ph measured a whopping
8.3 this morning,its normally ph 7.4(Baltimore city water).I thought it had
something to do with the plumbing in my house,but the tapwater at work (also
city water)had a ph of 8.3 also.Anybody from the B'more area out there who
knows what's going on?
TIA
Max