Re: biotope

The best article on biotopes of the Orinoco Ram that I've seen is Dr. Wolfang
Staeck's 1993 article on their distribution & ecology: Staeck, W. 1993. Zur
Verbreitung und Ökologie von Papiliochromis ramirezi. DATZ, 46(4): 239-242. From
1986 to 1991 Staeck wrote a series of articles for DATZ that described the
biotopes of many of the Apistogramma species that he collected in Peru &
Venezuela. The articles that I've read were exceptionally detailed and well worth
reading. I have translated some of these and they are available through the ASG
library for ASG members. Dr. Sven O. Kullander also describes different dwarf
cichlid biotopes in Ingo Koslowski's book, Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt -
Zwergcichliden. Unfortunately for those who don't read German, the book is
written in German (I have translated this book, too.). Römer's Cichliden Atlas
v.1 has a lot of biotope data, too - especially on the upper Rio Negro. Again,
it's only available in German right now.

In English, Kullander describes Peruvian aquatic biotopes in detail in his book,
Cichlid Fishes of the Amazon River Drainage of Peru, available from the Swedish
Museum of Natural History. It may be a bit technical for anyone not familiar with
biological & ecological terms. Many of the more recent scientific descriptions
also include a brief description of the collecting site. Otherwise, some of the
old TFH "bring 'em back alive" articles from the 60s, 70s & 80s, and the Linke &
Staeck and Mayland & Bork books are about all that you have available.

Mike Wise