Re: Fish feelings...

I think they are affected by this. I had a pair of anabantoids who were
regularly spawning. Dad turned out to be a great parent, and defended the
nest well. After I moved them to a community tank, they spawned only once
more--and the eggs were eaten by a relatively large fish, unaffected by the
pair's attacks in defense of the nest. The male seemed to get rather
withdrawn and they did not spawn again. He developed a fungus and popeye and
seemed to physically deteriorate. After about 2 months, another male decided
to spawn with this same female. The previously virile male did his best in a
showdown to be the chosen one, but he was obviously the lesser of the two, at
this point.

The new *dad* had no problem, after the spawning took place, in leaving the
nest, rather than vigorously defending it, as did the old *dad*. In fact, a
new one appeared less than a week later, in a different area of the tank.

Okay, it could have been coincidence, or the other way around . . . but I
think breeding is stressful on fish, and probably more so when they are
attentive parents--having greater instinct to defend the nest and unable to
successfully do so adds additional stress to the whole thing, I'd guess.

Sylvia