Re: Best Dwarf Cichlid Book

Alan,

If you are willing to wait a month or so it appears that Uwe Römer's "Cichlid
Atlas" will be available in English soon. It is supposedly being published this
month. David Soares, 14697 S. Bluegrass Lane, Sisters, Oregon 97759 is taking
orders for it right now. As far as I know he is the sole distributor for the
English edition. Price ranges from $69.80 - $49.50 (~£43.50 - £31.00), depending
on conditions (timing, club membership). If you want to call him in the US his
phone number is 514-549-9350. He once had an e-mail address Apistodave@aol.com
but the last time I used it, it didn't work.

Right now this book is the most complete, accurate, and detailed book on SA dwarf
cichlids available. It is 1312 pages long with 1500+ photos and drawing covering
most of the dwarf cichlids known to date. Like all books, some species are
misidentified, and if you are a "splitter" some listed species show more than one
species. Once enough people have the book we can go through it and correct these
mistakes. It has an identification key but it isn't the easiest to use -
especially if you haven't used taxonomic keys before. It also has an incredible
bibliography  listing over 1500 references. Distribution maps aren't the
greatest, but Römer writes a distribution section for each species. With it you
can locate fish on any detailed map of South America. For the money you can't go
wrong with this book!

Mike Wise