Re: tank bred vs. wild (was inbreeding) spawning

IDMiamiBob@aol.com writes:

> It is notable, however, that wild apistos are reported to breed easier and
>  have larger spawns than even F1 offspring.   But the evidence of this is
> more
>  anecdotal than actually studied.

I was advised by a long-time hobbyist when I was looking into acquiring
apistos, to opt for tank-bred and raised apistos as opposed to wild. She felt
that the tank raised would be more adaptable and easy to breed than wild
caught.

My experience with the tank raised guys, so far (several breeding sessions
where all eggs were eaten, probably by mom, despite vigorous defense of the
nest) is that few eggs are produced. I figured after a few spawns she might
get things right, and stop making a snack out of them. As a deterrent, I even
deliberately threw worms at feeding time directly down to the spot where her
nest was, since she wouldn't come out to eat. Interestingly enough, even
though provided a cave for spawning, they opted to lay eggs on the leaves of
valisneria plants. Just yesterday, I finally pulled the leaves off and placed
them in a net breeder within the tank to try to raise something viable
myself. There are probably about 10 eggs in all. Since I caught them early in
the game (presumably before any were eaten), I am assuming that this is about
all that was produced.

Another oddity I noticed--I had 2 male viejitas and 1 female in this tank,
with cardinal tetras & some small killies. It seemed up to now they were
following the right formula. Mom defended the nest, dad the territory. The
other male Viejita was harrassed severely by the dad. After it appears dad
successfully killed off the non-breeding viejita, he turned his aggression on
the female after spawning. While she was trying to watch the nest yesterday,
he was chasing her down with a vengeance, with body attacks included. That's
when I decided to pull the eggs. I'm not sure whether he designated himself
as nest watcher or what his problem was.

Any ideas on this? Or does this just prove out Bob's theory, and my fish are
incapable of normal parental behavior? (not to mention the low number of eggs
produced).

Sylvia