Re: Laterite Question

Thanks for your help.  Although my knowledge of chemistry is so limited that I don't know what it is to titrate something.  I did put a spoonful of my laterite into a dish of vinegar.  I did not see a significant  reaction, it is possible that there might have been some tiny bubbles, but they may have been just air pockets.  The laterite I used came fro ma german company -- terra something maybe?  Its the people who make those terrapur cones.

MD

I would just qualify your findings by mentioning that your DI water
has almost no buffering capacity.  Therefore, the pH measurements
will indicate a potential problem but not necessarily a real problem.
To find out if the laterite is a really problem under "normal" tank
conditions, you would need to titrate it with a known concentration
of acid to see how much alkalinity it has.  Now, if you have no
buffering capacity in your tank because you are using almost pure DI
water, then you do have a problem.

Ken