Re: Laterite Question

Matt,

>The laterite I used came fro ma german company -- terra
>something maybe?  Its the people who make those terrapur
>cones.

AquaTerra or Terralit maybe? If so, I have some info on those also.

> Thanks for your help.  Although my knowledge of chemistry is so
> limited that I don't know what it is to titrate something.
>I did put a spoonful of my laterite into a dish of vinegar.  I did not
>see a significant  reaction, it is possible that there might have
>been some tiny bubbles, but they may have been just air
>pockets.

Probably was air bubbles. A carbonate/bicarbonate rxn will be
noticed, with lots of bubbles and foam.

If the laterite is a big concern, gradually cover it with small
gravel/sand. Start on one side and over a weeks period work
yourself to the other. Once it's covered and contained, the leaching
properties are greatly decreased.

Jamie    <"\\\><