Re: New purchases

Tim,

You have 3 new forms from Peru. A. sp. Brustband (Breast-band) was introduced
into the English speaking hobby by Uwe Römer in the Oct 2000 ACA Buntbarsche
Bulletin that came out in December. It has plenty of photos but no information on
breeding. Ingo Koslowski introduced the same species to the German hobby in the
November 2000 issue of DATZ. In it he calls the fish A. sp. Maulbrüter
(Mouthbrooder)! Yes, this species is a larvaphile mouthbrooding species. In other
words the female lays the eggs on the ceiling where they hatch. She then picks up
the wigglers and keeps them in her mouth (except when she eats) until they become
freeswimming. After becoming freeswimming she fry aren't allow back in her mouth.
The known collecting locale is in tributaries of the  lower to middle Rio
Ampiyacu so moderately acid (<6.5 pH) and soft water should work. There is a
similar preserved species at the Swedish Museum from the Igarapé Acú in Brazil
near Peru and Yamazaki pictures a young male as Jurua Emerald in the Pisces book
so it might be more widely distributed.

A. sp. Morado (Purple) is a pretty regani type fish. Its dark markings are very
similar to A. sp. Papagei (Parrot) and may be a closely related species or only a
color form of Papagei. It, too, comes from the Ampiyacu so try conditions similar
to A. sp. Maulbrüter/Brustband.

A. sp. Papagei (Parrot) is undoubtedly one of the prettiest apistos to come along
in many years. It is a regain-group species with incredible colors. Like the
other two it comes from the Ampiyacu and needs similar water conditions.

I hope this helps. My only question is, if we can find all of these new species
in the Ampiyacu why can't we find the elusive A. amoena?

Mike Wise