How much light is too much light?

Greetings all.  Happy New Year.

I am trying to maintain several planted tanks ranging from heavily planted
"show" tanks to a couple more lightly planted "breeder" tanks.  My best
success has come with higher lighting capabilities (2 to 4 watts per gallon
for various depths).

My concern is not stressing my rams (microgeophagus/papiliochromis
ramirezi).  For example, a power compact 55watt light over a 20High (new
setup with more sparse plant growth to date).  The plants will be in heaven
but I don't want the rams unduly stressed.

QUESTION:  What level of lighting have others found acceptable/stressful for
rams?

Thanks!
J Sullivan.

Jason Sullivan