re: please help - cacatoides

Rosie,
It is not unusual for dwarf cichlids to eat their first couple of clutches of
eggs.  Often this happens when an innexperienced male fails to fertilise them
properly - or from bad water quality - or some other non-obvious reason.
Your apistos should settle down and become good parents within a couple of
months.  In the meantime, I would let them alone.
I have generally found that if the parents get to take care of the eggs
untill the fry are free swimming, I get better quality fry as well as more of
them.  Once the fry are free swimming, I suck them out with a turkey baster
and put them in the grow-out tamk.
The crab will need to live elswhere if there are eggs or fry in the tank.
Removing the fantails would help to improve the water quality which will also
improve the quality of the fry and reduce the chances of the parents eating
eggs/fry.
In my experience, removing eggs sometimes triggers violence between the
parents, so be extra watchful if you do.
Doug