Sexing Apisto. trifaciata

Is there any really reliable way of sexing female trifaciata (as they are
seen in the shop?)

I've bought two batches of fish, one of 5 fish and 1 eight fish (from
different suppliers) choosing one obvious male and the remainer what I would
consider to be females; shorter fins with no lappets on the dorsal & more
black on pectorals.  I've ended up with 10 definate males and 3 which are
quite sensibly keeping their head down but which I think are also male.

I suspect there are sex-skewed batches being imported into the UK at the
moment - but am I the unluckiest person around or what?

Alan W