Re: Apisto Groupings

apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:

> I don't think I can say one group is "easier" than another. It basically
> depends on the biotope that they evolved to survive in and their behavioral
traits.
> For example, I believe that all nijsseni-group species are more difficult
the
> keep and breed than the average apisto for 2 reasons. 1. They are adapted
to live
> in blackwater environments. In the aquarium these conditions are more
difficult
> to make and keep stable. 2. They tend to form a bonded pair. They don't
always
> mate with just any other member of their species.

Definately agree with point 1 - although once you have near blackwater
conditions they nijsenni are fairly easy to breed and I've not noticed any
pair specific bonding with any of my nijsenni.

For Apisto's panduro (pandurini) and A. norberti (whether you class this as a
nijsenni complex or cacutoides complex - I think it shares so many
characteristics of both that it must be a bridge species) the pair bonding
issue is very important - I have A norberti male with 3 females and he's only
ever fertilized one females eggs (very much at her instigation).

If the original poster was looking for easy Apistos, I think the two easiest
are Apisto cacutoides and Apisto hongsloi, with Apisto nijsenni coming a
close third providing the water is soft with a pH less than 5.5

Alan W