decreasing ph

Thank you all for your advice.  I tested my tap water and it is the same as
the tank although  I know that three weeks ago my tap water was about 40 ppm
higher in Gh than it is now.  I think that I shall go buy some Seachem acid
buffer.  How often should I check the Ph after I reach my target ph?  Is once
a week often enough?  I want to set up a new tank using profile as the
substrate.  Will this raise Ph?  It is a fired clay product.  Teresa