RE: decreasing PH

I had a similar problem a few months ago when I first started. I tried peat,
and chemicals, but neither would lower my pH. Taking the advice of some of
the people on this list (Thanks again guys! :) I tested my gravel and rocks
to see if they were basic. Here is what they said:
<<Snip>>
Usually, when GH is high, so is KH.  Now, why is it so high?  First, check
the GH and KH of your tap water after it has sat around in a CLEAN glass for
8-24 hours.  This allows it to stabilize.  If it isn't as high as your tank,
go to a hardware store and buy a quart of muriatic acid.  This is nasty
strong, so be careful with it.  When you get home scoop out some gravel from
the bottom of the tank.  Put it in a glass container, like a measuring cup
or
a drinking glass.  Then set it in the kitchen sink, let the faucet run, but
not into the container.  This will protect your plumbing from the muriatic
acid, and also remove some of the fumes out of the air.  Now, CAREFULLY add
little acid to the container.  IF it fizzes, there's your problem.  The
gravel is causing both GH and KH to rise as the limestone, seashells,
crushed
coral or whatever is in it dissolves.  You have to replace it.  If it isn't
coming from the tap or the gravel, then you have something else in the tank
that is dissolving.  Figure it out.
<<end snip>>

I did this and found that many of my rocks and my gravel were basic. So I
had to strip down the tank and start over. Now I always test every rock I
add to my apisto tanks, and I test the gravel and everything is working out
great! I hope this helps

Eric