Re: decreasing ph

> Hello, I am  a complete newbie and the one who asked the question so my
> answer must be taken with that in mind.  Profile is a similar product to
> fluorite but much cheaper.  It is a fired clay product but has no nutrients
> added like I believe fluorite does.  It is sold by Schultz as aquatic potting
> soil or at Wal-mart as soil conditioner.  The only difference between these
> two products being cost and grain size.  The cheaper stuff at walmart is only
> a little smaller in grain size than fluorite.  I got my info from the krib
> website.

Profile (Turface by another name) and Flourite are _very_ different.
Turface (Profile) is a medium hard arcillite (calcined,
montmorillonite clay) that most probably has been kiln-fired.
Flourite is a rock-hard, fracted clay. It's mined and is broken down
to the sizes we use. That's one reason Turface is cheaper.

Check out my article from Planted Aquarium Magazine:

http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

No organic matter is added to either; they're just clay.

>It seems that many people on the aquarium plant digest have had
> good results with it.   I want to use it in my new tank set up because I
> would like to find a cheaper alternative to fluorite.

Going with a Schultz and gravel blend may be the cheapest route.
It'll work for a planted tank substrate.

> In closing can anybody tell me how often to check my PH after
> reach my target  number, or is that
> something I will just have to play around with?  Teresa

It's all personal preference. If you're breeding and need specific
conditions, you'll be checking it all the time. If it's a planted tank or
the like, check it every so often after everything gets settled in.
With enough alkalinity (~2-4 dK) the pH will level out, with less
alk., the pH will swing a little.

Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC