Re: Newbie Breeding Question

Chris Martin wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is my first post to the list so please excuse me if I could have found
> this out some other way.
>
> I have recently bought 3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (2 female, 1 male) and one
> of the females was ferociously guarding some eggs. Today the eggs seem to
> have disappeared but she is still guarding something. What am I looking for?
> Is it likely the eggs have been eaten or are there likely to be fry there I
> can't see yet?

The next stage is "larvae". The fry are now, if the eggs have hatched,
very small and still not able to swim so they are on the bottom of the
cave and very difficult to see. If the female is still interested in
the cave there is a good chance she still has something int there. It
should take about 4-5 more days for the fry to become free-swimming.

Good luck,
Fredrik